Re: About Mirage Implementation

Hi Yiming,

The tutorial is indeed down (apparently due to an EC2 power cut that took out
the VM).  However, the build tools are indeed quite different now, due to us
switching Mirage to a (significantly simpler and more robust) package manager.
This package manager works with normal OCaml libraries, and so is generally a
more sustainable long-term solution.

So there are two options:

- you can use the old monolithic repository, and clone mirage/mirage-tutorial
(but roll it back to last year by reverting the last commit).  This will give
you a local copy of the tutorial, which you can access on port 80.

- I'm planning to port the hello world examples on mirage-www next week.  In
the meanwhile, you can follow the OPAM instructions for mirage-www to get it up
and running, as the website uses the latest interfaces.

You can also make a lot of progress without needing Mirage at all.  I'd suggest
using Lwt, the Lwt_bytes module, and the cstruct library to build a UNIX
userspace version quickly.  You can recompile this pretty easily to a Mirage
kernel if you keep the core logic fairly pure and functional.  Happy to advise
about how that works (or you might want to find someone locally in Cambridge
this month until I return in November, such as Balraj or Raphael who know who
this works).

-anil