Re: mirage + ocaml4

[+cl-mirage as I've had several enquiries sent to me privately]

On 12 Dec 2012, at 08:50, Thomas Gazagnaire <thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Anil, I've just realized that you don't have the full collection of Pierre's
> patches in the current mirage are you have rebased mirage against ocaml
> 4.00.1 (and not 4.01). Pierre has started backporting his patches to 4.00.1
> (see https://github.com/chambart/ocaml/tree/4.00%2Bio_prims). What's the
> status of that Pierre, is this complete ?

That's correct: I'm doing the upgrade in stages, and tagging them along the way
so we can measure each individual change's performance impact. The stages are:

- Upgrade compiler switch to OCaml 4.00.1 runtime (done)
- Move to new cstruct/ocplib-endian API (ongoing)
- Upgrade compiler switch to OCaml 4.01.0+dev snapshot, which should activate
the new marshalling builtins (not started)
- Install the .cmx files for all packages (not started)

The last three should result in a speedup, and the first one should not crash
:-) Balraj has tested the 4.00.1 runtime against the TCP benchmarks, and that
is not affected.  I'm hoping to commit the new cstruct bits today, if all goes
well.