Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] beta-release of OPAM

On 01/18/2013 11:42 AM, Anil Madhavapeddy wrote:
On 18 Jan 2013, at 10:31, Alain Frisch <alain@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Shouldn't the package be called simply "trunk", without a reference to a
version number?

Yeah, but OPAM also has compiler version constraints, so that you can mark a
package as requiring {>=4.00} for example.

Understood.

$ mkdir -p my-repo/packages
$ opam remote add localdev my-repo
<create your package inside my-repo/packages/>
$ opam update
<the new packages will be available>
$ opam install <new-package>

Thanks.  That's what I've done.

I've sent my first "pull request" for the inclusion of a new package in OPAM :-)

Are there plans to provide a more direct way to submit proposals for new packages? If I understand correctly, the current scheme requires to create an account on github, fork the opam-repository, clone the fork locally, create and commit the package locally, push it to github, and then create a pull request. Admittedly, this is not difficult once you're familiar with GIT and github, but I can imagine that it will still discourage some people from submitting their first package. What about a simple web interface to upload a .tar.gz of the package description, for instance? It should not be too hard to automate the treatment of uploaded package descriptions.

Alain