Re: mirage + froc = self-scaling?

haven't *completely* internalised yet... :)

On 9 Apr 2013, at 23:50, Daniel Bünzli wrote:

> Le mardi, 9 avril 2013 à 10:16, Richard Mortier a écrit :
>> having said all that, to turn your question around, are there strong reasons
>> to prefer React over Froc? i'm still learning about FRP so happy to have
>> discussion about this :)
>
> Well, I'm going to be biased. But here it goes.

so to summarise, React's benefits: are specified denotational semantics, and no
global data structures; but React can only guarantee no memory leaks in
environments that support weak references (which does not include JS until
ECMAScript 6 is adopted).

aside: on the memory point, would it be a reasonable way to think about this
that React uses weak refs to avoid memory leaks, while Froc uses strong
references *but* automatically allows any inside a bind to be collected every
time their value changes (so Froc is kind-of implementing it's own GC at a
library level).

the part i'm having to work harder to understand is control dependencies (and
tbh, fix points in React, which feel not unrelated...).

> 4) Regarding the question of control dependencies, ... One thing that strikes
> me in Jake's example [7] is that this:
>
>  let b = x >>= fun x -> return (x = 0)
>  let n0 = x >>= fun x -> return (100 / x)
>  let y = bind2 b n0 (fun b n0 -> if b then return 0 else n0)
>
> doesn't "work" (may divide by zero). But this
>
>  let b = x >>= fun x -> return (x = 0)
>  let y = b >>= fun b -> if b then return 0 else x >>= fun x -> return (100 /
> x)
>
> suddenly does.

> First note that referential transparency is broken here (similar examples
> exist in react, the semantics tells you why this is the case -- signals get
> only a timeline once they are created -- it seems however more prevalent in
> froc because of these control dependencies).

sorry, my cs theory is not so hot -- could you expand how referential
transparency is broken here?

> This also means that you have two kind of signals in froc, those that are
> defined for all t once created like n0. This is similar to react (to be
> precise, defined at all t until sometime after no longer needed by the
> system). But you also have other kind of signals that have a limited life
> span, those in that else branch, that may be disconnected from the system.

just to clarify -- you mean "disconnected from the system *during an update
cycle*"?

> It would be interesting to actually work out the precise semantics of that
> but I suspect that reasoning about such a system becomes significantly harder
> since the obvious application is to enable/disable side-effects and you no
> longer have obvious timelines for these signals.

again, could you expand what you mean here?

that is, by "side-effect" do you mean manipulation of the FRP DAG (whether
directly by changing the DAG itself, or indirectly through some piece of shared
state that i guess could include trying to feed in through a primitive
signal/event)? if so, i can see how that becomes problematic if DAG
manipulations overlap since ordering will be an issue and synchrony is
violated; and i think your later suggestion of treating the DAG as building a
transaction with all "side effects" pushed to the boundaries is one way to
ensure that these bad interactions never happen. but are there other problems
you see here?

--
Cheers,

R.

This message and any attachment are intended solely for the addressee and may
contain confidential information. If you have received this message in error,
please send it back to me, and immediately delete it.   Please do not use, copy
or disclose the information contained in this message or in any attachment.
Any views or opinions expressed by the author of this email do not necessarily
reflect the views of the University of Nottingham.