Re: Notes on Mirage meeting - 11 Sep

On 17 Sep 2013, at 08:49, Christopher Greenhalgh
<Chris.Greenhalgh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 16 September 2013 15:05 Anil Madhavapeddy [mailto:anil@xxxxxxxxxx] wrote:
>
>> A newbie question in return from someone who's never owned an Android:
>> what's the best tablet I can buy that is easy to develop for and test your
>> patches under?  I can rotate it into the OCamlot pool [1] when it's stable
>> too...
>
> Android devices with a "google" badge are usually a good bet for development,
> e.g. you can be confident of unlocking the boot loader - they are the devices
> google uses to drive evolution in the platform.
>
> Currently I'm working with a Google Nexus 7 (i.e. 7 in tablet); there are
> versions with & without GSM. I believe its made by asus. I know that its
> USB-OTG support works (which I need). Larger format would be the Google Nexus
> 10, which is completely different hardware, possibly made by Samsung (can't
> remember). But anything reasonably supported by custom firmware (e.g.
> http://www.cyanogenmod.org/ ) is likely to be ok.

Thanks -- I've ordered a Nexus 7.  From a recent discussion on the OCaml list,
it sounds like targeting Mirage as an 'on-device server' is the best way to go,
and stick to using the native SDKs for building UIs against it.

The same holds for the iPhone too, where OCaml can cross-compile pretty well
but the Objective-C bindings are themselves a moving target.

cheers,
Anil