[MirageOS-devel] Fwd: Mirage ARM port

> I've been looking at the (rather slick) cross compiler tools for
> FreeBSD and (I think) I have compiled a RaspberryPi kernel and
> userland which I will now start to test.

So firstly I think I missed the "k" in discussions around kFreeBSD...I
didn't realise OCaml native code wasn't supported on FreeBSD ARM and I
suppose it is with a Debian userland.

Never mind, I pushed ahead and I have 4.01.0 native code compilers at
least somewhat working with FreeBSD on the Raspberry PI now.  I say
somewhat because I've barely tested them and had to make some (very
minor) patches to the OCaml configure system and ARM backend.  None
the less I haven't seen anything not work as yet.  I also haven't
tried building the ".opt" compilers but will do soon.

I've been keeping notes and scripts at
https://github.com/andrewray/mirage-fpga.  I've just put a v0.1
release up in order to provide opam 1.1 binaries for FreeBSD 10.0
RELEASE on rPi.

It's not of much use right now but I intend to push a compiler up to
opam shortly which should get things going.  Fair play to my rPi which
has been compiling like a trooper all week to get this far!

My intention is to also provide a binary compiler as per ocamlpro's
4.01.0+bin-ocp which should make installing ocaml and opam a much
nicer experience on these embedded systems.

Now, one thing I have found and really like is with FreeBSD once
you've spent all day waiting for perl to compile so wget can use it
(probably for 1 liner in the makefile...grrrrr) you can:

$ pkg create [....]

and get installable binaries.  I have a few compiled and will no doubt
be generating some more.  If this is likely to be of use to other folk
then it would be good to share.

I'm hoping to have the compiler stuff sorted in the next few days and
then I will start looking at the mirage kernel module.

-Andy