[MirageOS-devel] Mirage OS and Docker

Hi,

I don't know whether you have seen the Docker related thread on the publicity list. George, Stefano, Russell and the LF PR folks had a discussion about Docker and did a bit of superficial search work and it appears that using the packaging component of Docker to deploy Mirage OS VMs/driver domains/etc. could be an absolute winner. If the two could be somehow combined (not sure weather fesible), we could gain all the benefits of easy deployments of apps via Docker without any of the security disadvantages of containers.

I then came across http://voxoz.com/ and http://blog.docker.io/2013/09/powering-voxoz-ecosystem-with-docker/ which says that they are also experimenting with Mirage OS (besides ErlangOnXen and Rump Kernels). I am wondering whether a Docker / Mirage OS mashup (or more generally Cloud OS in the sense of application running directly within a Xen VM without OS) is doable, how hard it would be and how valuable it would be.

I just wanted to throw this onto the list and get opinions and see whether there is maybe a discussion to be had at the Hackathon. I scheduled a session for now: see http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Hackathon/May2014#Using_Docker_to_deploy_driver_domains.2C_service_VMs.2C_Mirage_OS_VMs.2C_and_friends_-_Can_it_be_done.3F

Input and views are very welcome

Regards
Lars