Re: [MirageOS-devel] Struggling a bit with the Hello World applications

Thanks for your quick response. I indeed have aspcud installed.

After fiddling around and making a mess and not getting anything to work I decided to start from scratch. Since I use vagrant that's easy. So I went through the installation instructions step by step:

1. Installed all the build essentials. Ran into an error here. Ran
 Âapt-get update and the problem resolved itself.
2. The add-apt-repository is not in the standard Ubuntu, but when
 Âtrying to invoke it you are told to install
 Âpython-software-properties, so:
3. apt-get install python-software-propertiesÂ
 Âadd-apt-repository ppa:avsm/ppa
 Âsudo apt-get update
 Âapt-get install ocaml opam
   Â(At this step I noticed that aspcud was installed)
4. opam --version reports 1.1.1
5. opam init, answering yes to modify config files
6. eval `opam config env`
7. opam install mirage
The following actions will be performed:
Â- install ocamlfind.1.4.0 [required by mirage]
Â- install cmdliner.0.9.4 [required by mirage]
Â- install ipaddr.2.4.0 [required by mirage]
Â- install optcomp.1.5 [required by mirage]
Â- install ounit.2.0.0 [required by mirage]
Â- install re.1.2.1 [required by mirage]
Â- install ocplib-endian.0.4 [required by mirage]
Â- install cstruct.1.1.0 [required by mirage]
Â- install io-page.1.1.1 [required by mirage]
Â- install mirage-types.1.1.2 [required by mirage]
Â- install mirage.1.1.2
Â- install lwt.2.4.5 [required by mirage]
12 to install | 0 to reinstall | 0 to upgrade | 0 to downgrade | 0 to remove
Do you want to continue ? [Y/n]Â
[ERROR] Aborting, as the following packages have a cyclic dependency:
Â(No packages are listed, so this looks like a bug to me)

Oddly enough this worked fine yesterday, so I have no idea what has changed.

I have a Mac, but I figured I might get better results using a linux VM especially due to the tuntap and Xen requirements, and the fact that homebrew failed with a clink error when trying to install ocaml.

Perhaps a different Linux would be preferable? Since I'm just using it as a compilation station I don't really care what distro it is. What is the mirage team using, Debian?