Re: [MirageOS-devel] libminios/openlibm support ready for testing

On 6 Jul 2014, at 21:02, Thomas Leonard <talex5@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 6 July 2014 18:51, Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> I think it might be a good idea to maintain this library (perhaps with
>> a better name, like mirage-xen-minios) in the future, since it's a
>> convenient place to apply distribution-specific patches to MiniOS
>> (like cleaning up the startup text to be prettier), and also to
>> control which versions of libm go in.   How about I rename the
>> repository to mirage-xen-minios, and cut a release tarball that bundles
>> the upstream .tar.gz files (so `make install` can run without any
>> external downloads)?
>
> That would be great!

Alright, I'll do that tomorrow.  Can switch to submodules later if
necessary.

>> Once that's done, I just needed a few minor patches to your
>> mirage-platform pull request:
>>
>> - The symlink handling in OPAM is annoying right now, since it
>>  destroys them from the source repository.  On the other hand,
>>  the only reason we have symlinks in mirage-platform is to support
>>  two concurrent revisions of OCaml (4.00.1 and 4.01.0).  I think
>>  it's time to retire 4.00.1 (especially with the ARM code gen
>>  fixes in 4.01.0), so I've removed it entirely and made the only
>>  supported runtime 4.01.0.
>>
>> - I exported PKG_CONFIG_PATH from the xen/Makefile. ThomasG and I
>>  had a quick chat about how best to support this from OPAM, but the
>>  easiest way right now is to run `opam config var prefix` to
>>  determine the active compiler switch, and set the variable based
>>  off that.
>
> Seems fine. I guess it's OK to override the user's $PKG_CONFIG_PATH
> here (rather than prepending to it), since all dependencies should be
> in OPAM anyway.

Yeah, my thinking too.  Any lurking package configs from outside that
get pulled in would be a bug.

>> Now resurrecting a Cubieboard2 to try it on ARM :-)
>
> Cool :-) Don't forget you'll need the arm-preview branch of
> mirage-platform for that (it works, but isn't ready for merging).

Darn, that conflicts with
https://github.com/mirage/mirage-platform/pull/94

I think that #94 is actually ready to merge (at the same time as
xen-minios) into OPAM.  If I do that tomorrow and release it along
with Mirage 1.2.0, we can play hunt-the-regression in the runup to
the 2.0 release.  Anything outstanding on your plate before I do that?

Only other thing that would be nice to have is having the checksum
stubs compiled as an external library so that they can be moved to
tcpip where they belong.

cheers,
Anil