Re: [MirageOS-devel] Mirage on EC2

Hi Jyotsna,

On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 4:01 PM, Jyotsna Prakash
<jyotsna.prakash@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Have you tried using the EC2 AMI command line tools? As in
> https://github.com/mirage/mirage/blob/master/scripts/ec2.sh

Yes, I started with scripts/ec2.sh, and made some changes to support
us-east-1.  The AMI was created/uploaded/registered successfully, but
failed with errors visible in the instance's console.  I will try this
approach again, now that I have more confidence in my mirage build
environment.

> Alternatively I have been working on OCaml bindings EC2. Apparently (besides
> myself) two people have had success with them.
> If you try them out please let me know how it goes.
> They are at https://github.com/moonlightdrive/ocaml-ec2

Noted, thanks.

> > I think that using a Linux AMI to bootstrap an instance might be a practical
> > alternative to minting an AMI for each update.
>
> Why is this?

The approach I described works equally for the EBS-only t1.micro (free
tier) and other instance types.  If you push the unikernel to S3, the
process of installing the kernel, updating menu.lst, and rebooting can
be automated with a "user data" script at launch.  I think it's a
decent option for beginners (like me) looking to test out the
mirage-skeleton examples on EC2.

However, if I want to read/write to the local disk, I think it will be
necessary to build an AMI with the proper partitioning and filesystem
up-front.

--
Len