Re: [MirageOS-devel] Xen access to the GPU

On 11 Sep 2014, at 14:59, Daniel Bünzli <daniel.buenzli@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Le jeudi, 11 septembre 2014 à 15:32, Dave Scott a écrit :
>> - focus on hardware which has open-source 3D drivers[1], and port to a more
>> Mirage-y environment… perhaps the rPi would be a good target?[2]
>
> Actually I wanted to have a look at that at a certain point, but... time...
> Apparently the open source driver [1] is simply a message passing shim that
> talks to the RTOS that runs on the broadcom gpu.
>
> So in my naive view if I could just link these things in with the mirage
> kernel and access the exposed GLES api using tgls [2] that could actually do
> it.

That does sound plausible to me!

> Btw, what's the status of mirage on the rPI ?

I think Anil suggested using FreeBSD as a bootloader/host for Mirage on the rPi
(and other devices which don’t support Xen). Gábor Páli created a Mirage
FreeBSD kernel module port[1] which takes care of boot and basic hardware
initialisation (such as turning on the USB network stack). He demoed a Mirage
web server running within the kernel. I don’t know the current state of the
project, but I’d love to see it as a first-class method of running Mirage
applications. Even on hosts which can run Xen, it would be useful to be able to
pass-through a PCI network or storage device, use the FreeBSD driver to access
it, but then write higher-level protocol code in OCaml.

Cheers,
Dave

[1]
https://wiki.freebsd.org/201210DevSummit?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=mirage-kfreebsd.pdf