Re: [MirageOS-devel] V1 vs V2 mirage-types

> On 12 Nov 2014, at 19:09, Thomas Gazagnaire <thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>> slowly following up - I still do not understand why we would want to
>>> have two interface versions here -- shouldn't versioning be kept at
>>> the package level rather than the interface level.
>>
>> I don't know (yet) the specifics of mirage but having thought about that in
>> another context (assemblage) I also think that module signatures for API
>> versioning seems to be a rather bad idea and could be a source of subtle
>> bugs in the future. Not to mention that once you will have the relief of
>> having solved the versioning problem at the package level it will only be so
>> soon that you have to deal with it again in your code.
>
> It's certainly true that the V1/V2 stuff is confusing and hard to explain to
> new users (and to ourselves, which is a bad sign). It sounded like a good
> idea at the beginning, and we did that to mirror the xen-api versions bumps,
> but it our current use of API versioning doesn't really seem to help to
> actually manage different API versions.

It certainly is confusing.

> One way to fix that is indeed to remove all V1/V2 stuff, and propagate
> version constraints of opam packages in the mirage tools. Every major version
> of mirage could then define the set of implementations which satisfy the
> current mirage-type interface.

I was hoping that Mirage would grow a set of interface conventions over time,
and I was guessing that these would manifest as common module signatures. For
example, one of the nice things about Unix is that âeverything is a fileâ and
therefore supports the same read/write interface. I was wondering if something
like FLOW might emerge and fill a similar niche in Mirage. If âeverything is a
FLOWâ then we could create a nice set of utilities to manipulate and compose
them.

Perhaps the FLOW signature should be taken out of mirage-types and placed in
its own package (mirage-flow). It could then be versioned separately and we
could also include a nice set of utilities in the same package?

Would that be better? (or worse?)

Cheers,
Dave