Re: [MirageOS-devel] Serving each URL from a separate unikernel: an experiment

On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 3:31 PM, Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 25 Mar 2015, at 15:04, Amir Chaudhry <amc79@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> Magnus just pushed a new blog post live, where he describes a recent
>> experiment.  In it, he tries serving each webpage on his static site from a
>> different unikernel. It's a fun idea and all his scripts are public if you'd
>> like to try this out for yourselves!
>>
>> Post:
>> http://www.skjegstad.com/blog/2015/03/25/mirageos-vm-per-url-experiment/

One optimization that occurs to me is the use of the Host header to
distinguish requests for different domain names but use a single IP
address. This should reduce the size of the address tables and
generally scale better in other ways (no need to manage IP-space
allocation, ability to host on the Internet without a huge IP-space,
etc).

Does anyone know of a way to convince HTTP clients doing DNS lookups
to send *all* subdomains to a single host and terminate name
resolution for a domain? If we could figure that out, you wouldn't
even need to modify the DNS...