Re: [MirageOS-devel] Unikernel/Xen server hosting

On Fri, 17 Apr 2015, at 21:49, Nick Hardiman wrote:
What is the advantage of Scaleways, apart from the processor? What kind of centralized hosting do you want?

Iâm guessing two types -

1. image hosting
* jitsu (no pressure, Magnus)
* xen

I'm looking for somewhere I can run Jitsu as a DNS server and be able to start unikernels on demand (with low latency). Whether it is ARM or x86 is not that important as Mirage and Jitsu works well on both platforms. It looks like Scaleway could be perfect for this if they add a kernel with Xen support. I could start unikernels as processes with Jitsu as well (as Anil suggested), but I wouldn't be able to isolate them in the same way as I would with Xen VMs.

2. dev hosting
* ARMv7
* pre-built images

Is that a decent infrastructure vision of the future?
What about -
* memory?
* SSD space?

What kind of public machine rental would be ideal?

For hosting services with Jitsu it would be great to be able to run one core instance that acted as a controller and then be able to quickly (<100ms) spin up smaller instances for unikernel VMs on demand. I would expect that the unikernel VMs in general would have low resource requirements (e.g 0-1GB storage, 16-64mb RAM), but could also require more resources in some cases (e.g. a db/file server with more memory/storage). I think a small ARM- or Intel NUC-based Xen server could work well for this.

It could also be interesting to be able to boot small instances with higher latency to offload the main server. For example, an Amazon EC2 instance could be spun up (in minutes?) for a service that was experiencing high load/traffic and future DNS requests could be directed there by Jitsu (e.g. based on geographical region, etc).