Re: [MirageOS-devel] Unikernel/Xen server hosting

On 20 Apr 2015, at 10:35, Justin Cormack <justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 17 April 2015 at 21:49, Nick Hardiman <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> What is the advantage of Scaleways, apart from the processor? What kind of
>> centralized hosting do you want?
>
> For Arm builds and so on they have proved rather more reliable than my
> in-house hosting, with good performance (quad core, SSD).

Yeah, this is the first reliable ARM cloud I've used, and it's valuable
just on that basis.

An interesting development today is that they've uploaded a beta Xen
compatible kernel: https://github.com/scaleway/kernel-tools/issues/14

I can't quite get it working yet as it's not clear how to get a direct
serial console, but it's encouraging progress towards a cheap Jitsu hosting
solution that can migrate easily onto Cubieboards deployed elsewhere.

>> Iâm guessing two types -
>>
>> 1. image hosting
>> * jitsu (no pressure, Magnus)
>> * xen
>>
>> 2. dev hosting
>> * ARMv7
>> * pre-built images
>>
>> Is that a decent infrastructure vision of the future?
>> What about -
>> * memory?
>> * SSD space?
>>
>> What kind of public machine rental would be ideal?
>
> It is hard to tell what mix of workloads will be needed, as it depends
> a lot on the size of services, ie large data server, stateless
> processor, nanoservice (eg single page hosting), plus the type of use
> case (ie network to cpu ratio). But probably not vast amounts of RAM,
> as the services are not memory hungry, and are more likely to max out
> CPU and network. You dont want to be running vastly more unikernels
> than hardware threads at any time, but if they are jitsu style then
> thats rather different as they dont last long.
>
> You need ipv6 - a /64 for each host means you can address your
> unikernels. (if services are http only you can use name based
> resolution on dom0 but ipv6 is much nicer). I use Cloudflare to give
> services public ipv4 addresses as they will proxy ipv6 only services.

Using Cloudflare is a good idea!  Another option is to lift up the
service description to be name-based, so that a proxy unikernel can
dispatch HTTPS connections internally (perhaps via vchan).  This
reduces isolation slightly, but increases density as only one VM needs
to terminate the TCP (and eventually TLS).