Re: [MirageOS-devel] Jitsu release plan for NSDI

On Wed, 22 Apr 2015, at 11:47, Richard Mortier wrote:
> On 22 April 2015 at 10:21, Magnus Skjegstad <magnus@xxxxx> wrote:
> >> - State of the codebase (refresh/testing/releases/etc)
> >
> > The version of Jitsu we used for evaluation has been released and is in
> > mirage-dev, but we have not yet used it to host unikernels on a public
> > server so we will probably discover some new issues when we do that.
> > Anil and Dave are preparing a Xen server where we will test this.
> >
> > Currently Synjitsu requires an older patched TCP/IP stack and the ARP
> > tables are a bit difficult to set up. It would be nice if we could merge
> > the patch into the main stack before NSDI and add a way to configure the
> > ARP tables dynamically, as it would be much easier to install.
>
> Is this something that Mindy's ARP patches would be useful for? Or is
> there a simpler path "for now" so that something is ready by NSDI?

It would probably be useful to be able to share ARP entries between
Jitsu, Synjitsu and the booted unikernels to reduce ARP traffic. Jitsu
knows the MAC addresses of all the unikernels it controls and could
automatically add them to the ARP tables.

I think the easiest solution "for now" is to add gARP support in Jitsu
so that the MAC addresses of booting unikernels are advertised in
advance. The gARP should ideally be sent from Synjitsu though to not
confuse the switch, so we should probably move the code there later.

I'm not sure if we need to update the ARP table in the booting unikernel
from Synjitsu as well. We add ARP entries manually today, but I guess we
can just use the src MAC/IP from the SYN to SYNACK? (Thomas?)

Magnus