Re: [MirageOS-devel] Mirage OS 2.4 errors on install and mirage-skeleton build

On 5 May 2015 at 09:48, Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 5 May 2015, at 01:47, Justin Cormack <justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On 5 May 2015 at 09:35, Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> This almost works for me, except that I still get a permissions error
>>> since the `set_up_and_running` ioctl call checks for IFF_MULTICAST and
>>> IFF_BROADCAST in addition to IFF_UP and IFF_RUNNING.  These aren't
>>> set when I create a persistent tun with `otun add tun10 tun`, but it
>>> shouldn't matter much if those aren't set.  Any particular reason that
>>> we need them?
>>
>> Odd, I can't replicate that, in fact I can't create any interfaces
>> which don't have multicast and broadcast set. On the other hand,
>> IFF_UP is the only flag that actually matters at this point, so just
>> testing for that would be sufficient.
>
> How are you creating the tun interfaces?  I'm using the ocaml-tuntap otun
> binary, which may not be calling an ioctl to set those flags.

I tried that, and what I usually use as it is always installed by default:
sudo ip tuntap add dev tap0 mode tap user justin && sudo ip link set dev tap0 up

Both but broadcast and multicast flags on - indeed, looking at my
network interfaces they all have those flags on except loopback (eg
just use ifconfig or ip link to show). So a bit surprised as this is
the default for ethernet-like interfaces as far as I know.

Justin