Re: [MirageOS-devel] Logging (was: test, quality, tcpip)

On 12 May 2015 at 17:59, Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> On 12 May 2015, at 16:46, Richard Mortier <mort@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> + one Irmin log ("repo"?)
>> + each component has its own branch within that log
>>
>> then either
>>
>> + within each component branch, there is a linear sequence of messages
>> at different levels
>
> This makes sense to me.
>

>> or
>>
>> + within each component branch, there is a hierarchy of subordinate
>> branches, branching each time a message appears at a lower (finer
>> grained) debug level
>
> And this doesn't :)

I was trying to capture the sequencing in the branching structure
rather than requiring reconstruction based on timestamps. Given that
messages often seem to cascade (one error message might relate to
several warning messages, etc), I could imagine wanting a view where I
could "roll up" messages (eg., warnings) to some higher level (eg.,
errors).

--
Richard Mortier
mort@xxxxxxxxxx