Re: [MirageOS-devel] OCaml and Mirage now running on rumprun, including bare metal

On Friday, 22.05.2015 at 16:17, Antti Kantee wrote:
> On 22/05/15 15:35, Martin Lucina wrote:
> >Hi all,
> >
> >in the spirit of "announce early and often", I now have a working OCaml
> >cross compiler toolchain building unikernels with the rumprun stack[1], and
> >basic support for Mirage OS working.
>
> Good show!  Supporting existing platforms and applications while
> enabling things to be done better where it matters most is a true
> realization of the rump kernel slogan "you can make an omelette
> without breaking the kitchen".
>
> That said, can you expand on the motivations behind your work with a
> paragraph or so?  I don't recall the project being introduced at
> least on the rump kernel kernel list, and I while can guess the
> motivations, I'd rather not guess if I don't have to ;)

The Mirage folks have built a green-field implementation of a TCP/IP, TLS
and HTTP stack, all in memory-safe OCaml. What I'd like to get to is
being able to build systems which use the best of both worlds. For example,
have a Mirage unikernel serve TLS and/or HTTP, and talk FastCGI to a PHP
backend running on a rumprun unikernel.

The other interesting aspect is using Jitsu [1] to spawn just-in-time
unikernels on demand. This would let you have a bunch of unikernels which
are dormant and are only booted when the service they provide is actually
accessed.

Oh, and it's fun :-)

> >Here's a screenshot for proof of the mir-console example from
> >mirage-skeleton running on KVM:
> >
> >http://ibin.co/22cIo40lGJxN
> >
> >If you'd like to try this out, my OPAM repository is available here:
> >
> >https://github.com/mato/opam-rumprun
>
> Is the screenshot from the "mirage on bare metal" example?

If you mean the example in the README, then yes.

> bug report for your README: I can't clone the mirage-skeleton repo
> using that url since I don't have the right creds, I need
> https://github.com/mirage/mirage-skeleton

Fixed, thanks, I've also fixed a couple more typos.

-mato

[1] http://anil.recoil.org/papers/2015-nsdi-jitsu.pdf