Re: [MirageOS-devel] Possible to build for Xen HVM?

On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 11:29:05AM +1000, Andrew Stuart wrote:
> Hi Anil,
>
> Iâd like to execute the unikernel on KVM or Xen HVM or EC2 HVM, all of which
> I understand to be compatible.
>
> The direction at EC2 is HVM rather than PV and the new instance types are all
> HVM.

HVM booting shouldn't be a big project for Mirage - as Anil mentioned
I had a go a while back [1], and was making reasonable progress. Once
it has booted, the same net/block drivers that work for PV Xen should
work for HVM too.

For KVM it's a little harder, as we'll need to have virtio drivers for
the network and disk, and these will need to be written from scratch,
including all the supporting PCI infrastructure. Not super hard, but
more work than simply HVM booting.

Jon

[1]: https://github.com/jonludlam/mirage-platform/tree/hvm