Re: [MirageOS-devel] Lifecycle

>>> Micromanagement interface? :)
>>>

>> I guess the use-case I had in mind was the radio modem connected to the
>> unikernel:
>>
>> Stop -> inform participating unikernels that we're stopping, housekeep,
>> turn off the radio.
>> Pause -> housekeep, turn off the radio
>> Restart -> housekeep
>>
>> Certainly 'Stop' is a must-have.
>
> Ah-- I guess I don't understand who's invoking which operation :)
>
> I had assumed that Start/Stop were operations that could be invoked on
> a unikernel to boot it and then cleanly shut it down. But from what
> you say above it sounds like Stop is a message that a unikernel may
> broadcast to other unikernels to say "I'm stopping"? (I may just be
> completely misunderstanding though!)

No, no - you're quite right. Whatever is controlling the unikernel
passes on up-coming states to the unikernel, on starting, on stopping
etc.. It's then up to the unikernel to act on being told that 'we're
shutting you down, buddy: STOP' via mirageos/platform etc..

I guess this would be done via vchan, in the case of xen, and there must
be something similar for kvm?