Re: [MirageOS-devel] removal of deprecated config in mirage 3.0 (mirage configure --unix/--xen, add_to_opam_packages, add_to_libraries)

> On 19 Jul 2016, at 15:14, Mindy <mindy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On 07/19/2016 12:56 PM, Amir Chaudhry wrote:
>> I’ve no problem with those flags going away, but I do think it’s important
>> that we consider how.  There may be lots of blog posts/videos out there with
>> the old way of doing it and I don’t think we’ve communicated enough that
>> this is deprecated.  I’m not sure how many people will have read Functoria’s
>> docs :)  This may also be why they keep creeping back into mirage-skeleton.
>>
>> Some suggestions which might mitigate later confusion:
>>
>> - Add a note to the breaking-changes page now to highlight this actually is
>> deprecated. It clearly mentions other things but not this change.
>
> I don't want to do this because we haven't yet released the version that
> actually breaks this for users.  Right now, anyone who is using a version of
> `mirage` that no longer supports this has opted into the pre-release 3.0
> universe of packages, and is coping with a set of breaking changes that's
> larger than just this one.
>
> The deprecation of --unix and --xen is actually already noted on this page in
> the "Deprecation" section, alongside add_to_ocamlfind_libraries and
> add_to_opam_packages, but concluding this from the "`get_mode` is deprecated"
> written there requires some knowledge of Functoria.  I'll add a line that
> makes this more clear.

Maybe my earlier point was unclear but what you’ve suggested (and put in a PR)
is what I was asking for. Thanks :)
I‘ve submitted a PR to change a couple of the onboarding/tutorial pages.

>> - If possible, add some kind of warning in the tool soon (as previously
>> suggested). Would a point release work for this (2.9.1)?
>
> Have a look at https://github.com/mirage/mirage/pull/561 .  Since it changes
> only the front-end tool, it can be released relatively speedily.

That works for me. I’ll leave any other discussion for the PR.

Amir