Re: [MirageOS-devel] removal of deprecated config in mirage 3.0 (mirage configure --unix/--xen, add_to_opam_packages, add_to_libraries)

On 07/19/2016 12:56 PM, Amir Chaudhry wrote:
I’ve no problem with those flags going away, but I do think it’s important that we consider how.  There may
be lots of blog posts/videos out there with the old way of doing it and I don’t think we’ve communicated
enough that this is deprecated.  I’m not sure how many people will have read Functoria’s docs :)  This may
also be why they keep creeping back into mirage-skeleton.

Some suggestions which might mitigate later confusion:

- Add a note to the breaking-changes page now to highlight this actually is
deprecated. It clearly mentions other things but not this change.

I don't want to do this because we haven't yet released the version that actually breaks this for users. Right now, anyone who is using a version of `mirage` that no longer supports this has opted into the pre-release 3.0 universe of packages, and is coping with a set of breaking changes that's larger than just this one.

The deprecation of --unix and --xen is actually already noted on this page in the "Deprecation" section, alongside add_to_ocamlfind_libraries and add_to_opam_packages, but concluding this from the "`get_mode` is deprecated" written there requires some knowledge of Functoria. I'll add a line that makes this more clear.

- If possible, add some kind of warning in the tool soon (as previously
suggested). Would a point release work for this (2.9.1)?

Have a look at https://github.com/mirage/mirage/pull/561 . Since it changes only the front-end tool, it can be released relatively speedily.

I think this is has enough impact that we should try to forewarn users now if we can (especially if
they’ve already been deprecated). I’m assuming the above points wouldn’t have any
(negative) impact on the work for 3.0 but please correct me if I’m mistaken.

Thoughts?

Amir