Re: [MirageOS-devel] Master thesis about Mirage (Pioneer projects)

  • To: Róbert Tóth <tothrobert256@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2016 19:04:15 +0100
  • Cc: KC Sivaramakrishnan <sk826@xxxxxxxxx>, Edgar A <edgar.factorial@xxxxxxxxx>, mirageos-devel <mirageos-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 15 Aug 2016 18:04:23 +0000
On 9 Aug 2016, at 22:01, Róbert Tóth <tothrobert256@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I'm thinking about writing my master thesis about Mirage, but I need some
> help choosing a topic for it. There are a lot of interesting pioneer projects
> on the mirage website, but it's hard to choose from them with my limited
> experience.
>
> I just finished reading the first two part(language concepts, tools and
> techniques) of the Real World Ocaml book and also finished the tutorial about
> mirage. Before OCaml I have also learnt about Haskell(Learn You a Haskell),
> but I found the language a little too complex for my taste.
>
> I personally like the Blog and OPAM-aware static website generator project.

Hi Róbert,

There are quite a few possible interesting projects.

- One area that could really use help is the logging end of things: we now have
fairly generic support via Daniel Buenzli's Logs library, but need more
backends that can handle a large number of unikernel logs and aggregate them.
KC has recently begun a "simple" interface to the Irmin git database that
provides a nice logging API, but we need to port existing libraries and also
build tools around it.  See
https://github.com/kayceesrk/ezirmin/tree/master/src and ezirmin_git_log.ml

- Always more protocol implementations needed -- something around certificate
management and Letsencrypt would help keep sites updated regularly.  Hannes, is
someone working on the Acme protocol at the moment? (I couldn't find the
repository).

- JavaScript compilation is a hot area right now, and an ambitious but quite
do-able project would be build a js_of_ocaml backend to Mirage to let some of
the protocols run in the browser.

Do let us know what sorts of topics and criteria you need for your Master's
thesis, and can refine it from there...

cheers,
Anil