Re: [MirageOS-devel] Master thesis about Mirage (Pioneer projects)

Hi Anil,

Basically every project that includes software development is a good to go.
The main criteria for my master thesis is that it needs to be 30-60 pages long.

Logging: It doesn't really make my heart race and I'm not sure if I can write a lot about logging.

Protocol implementation: I always wanted to try implementing a protocol and the projects proposed by Hannes sound interesting. DNS over TCP(and DNSSEC) sounds interesting, but I will need some help, because right now I can't even make the dns (or the http-fetch) example to run correctly.

_javascript_ compilation: I'm not a huge fan of _javascript_, so I support every project that helps avoiding it. Unfortunately I have only read a few articles about compilers and js_of_ocaml is a huge project.

Róbert

On 9 Aug 2016, at 22:01, Róbert Tóth <tothrobert256@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I'm thinking about writing my master thesis about Mirage, but I need some help choosing a topic for it. There are a lot of interesting pioneer projects on the mirage website, but it's hard to choose from them with my limited experience.
>
> I just finished reading the first two part(language concepts, tools and techniques) of the Real World Ocaml book and also finished the tutorial about mirage. Before OCaml I have also learnt about Haskell(Learn You a Haskell), but I found the language a little too complex for my taste.
>
> I personally like the Blog and OPAM-aware static website generator project.

Hi Róbert,

There are quite a few possible interesting projects.

- One area that could really use help is the logging end of things: we now have fairly generic support via Daniel Buenzli's Logs library, but need more backends that can handle a large number of unikernel logs and aggregate them.  KC has recently begun a "simple" interface to the Irmin git database that provides a nice logging API, but we need to port existing libraries and also build tools around it.  See https://github.com/kayceesrk/ezirmin/tree/master/src and ezirmin_git_log.ml

- Always more protocol implementations needed -- something around certificate management and Letsencrypt would help keep sites updated regularly.  Hannes, is someone working on the Acme protocol at the moment? (I couldn't find the repository).

- _javascript_ compilation is a hot area right now, and an ambitious but quite do-able project would be build a js_of_ocaml backend to Mirage to let some of the protocols run in the browser.

Do let us know what sorts of topics and criteria you need for your Master's thesis, and can refine it from there...

cheers,
Anil