Re: [MirageOS-devel] ARM experiences (was: [cambridge] welcome Takayuki Imada)

  • To: "Cherry G. Mathew" <cherry@xxxxxx>
  • From: Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2016 18:27:27 +0100
  • Cc: mirageos-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 18 Oct 2016 17:27:34 +0000
> On 18 Oct 2016, at 18:11, Cherry G. Mathew <cherry@xxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On 18 October 2016 8:38:53 pm IST, Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On 18 Oct 2016, at 16:01, Nick Betteridge
>> <lists.nick.betteridge@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> It would be great, a little later down the road, if we could set up a
>>> repository, like Solo5, where we can both learn and contribute to
>>> anything hardware related - in the form of both snippets and
>> demonstrators.
>>>
>>> The future is looking rosy :-)
>>
>> Absolutely - it's clear from the earlier thread on ARM that hardware
>> continues to be fragmented, and build systems continue to be confusing
>> with respect to getting bootable images.
>>

> FWIW, the netbsd build system stands out in a world of muck.
>
> We've just finished reorganising, unit testing and building a critical kernel
> VM component in userland, from *windows*

We are sadly stuck building Linux kernels at this stage :-)

One thing that has frequently occurred to me is that it might
be nice to use NetBSD pkgsrc as the basis for C stub compilation
and interfacing with OS libraries, but I've never investigated
in depth.  The main issue with this (as I understand it) is that
pkgsrc prefers to own the compilation of all libraries and not
pass through to preinstalled OS versions.  Still, since Rump
has been upstreamed to NetBSD the situation for the base
build can only be getting better with respect to unikernel
support.

Anil