[MirageOS-devel] OCaml newbie looking to learn and contribute

Hi there!

I'm Gabriel and I'm new to OCaml. I have been learning it the past few months through the OCaml course at https://www.fun-mooc.fr and the Real World OCaml book (halfway done with both). I'm a web developer by profession and currently mostly use Elixir (a functional language), Python and _javascript_ at work.

OCaml is interesting to me since it's an ML-type language I could do systems programming with. I tried Haskell too but I did not like how it was lazy by default, made you go through hoops to do side-effects, and the convention of chaining function calls with `$` and `.`.

A few days ago I was looking for OCaml open-source projects and was pleased to rediscover MirageOS. I didn't really understand what Unikernels were then even though I've encountered the term several times before. Lean, custom OSes with just the functionality my application needs sounds promising. Does this mean that Unikernels/LibOSes can potentially replace traditional OSes in production? I don't fully appreciate/understand how it works or its applications but am eager to learn more.

Regarding contributions, I'm interested in contributing to ocaml-git or ocaml-cohttp initially but am open to start with anything you might suggest. Would like to take on something simple for a start.

Oh and btw, I'm in the Philippines (GMT+8).

Kind regards,
Gabe Jaldon