[MirageOS-devel] breaking up cstruct packages

  • To: mirageos-devel <mirageos-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2016 12:19:59 +0000
  • Cc: Jeremie Dimino <jdimino@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 03 Nov 2016 12:20:09 +0000

I'm porting cstruct opam packages to topkg, and need to make a backwards
incompatible change to the ocamlfind layout.  It is currently:

cstruct
cstruct.lwt
cstruct.ppx
cstruct.unix

I propose to change these ocamlfind packages to

cstruct
cstruct-lwt
cstruct-ppx
cstruct-unix

so that they are the same as the ocamlfind layout.  This also makes it possible
to have different version constraints on each package.  The specific bug I am
trying to fix is that "cstruct.async" is blocking OCaml 4.04 support until the
upstream Async release comes out, and I would like to get the core package
building and released as soon as possible.  With the new scheme there is much
looser coupling among the dependencies, at the cost of rewiring all the
existing users to a new ocamlfind syntax.

Thoughts welcome!  This would be a bump to Cstruct 3.0 to account for the large
scale renaming.

Anil