Re: [MirageOS-devel] [ANNOUNCE] Mirage storage project

  • To: Gabriel de Perthuis <g2p.code@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2016 17:13:23 +0000
  • Cc: mirageos-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 14 Dec 2016 17:13:31 +0000
On 14 Dec 2016, at 17:09, Gabriel de Perthuis <g2p.code@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Le 14/12/2016 à 17:23, Sean Grove a écrit :
>>    I'm announcing I intend to work on the Mirage storage stack.
>>
>> Very cool!
>>

>>    There is a clear need for something that sits on top of the BLOCK API
>>    and provides higher-level capabilities.  I'm planning to write a
>>    storage library that provides a key-value store (with fixed-size keys)
>>    and an Irmin backend.  A more generic key-value store with variable
>>    size keys could also be implemented on top.
>>

>> A lot of my use cases are probably in the minority for Mirage, but will
>> you design/implement it with an eye towards the JavaScript runtime
>> (either via jsoo of BuckleScript)? The dream for me has always been to
>> sync data between web/mobile clients and a Mirage server, like Cuekeeper.
>
> I think CueKeeper should be able to take advantage of a new Irmin
> backend pretty easily.  Both ends of the connection are using Irmin, the
> browser uses an IndexedDB backend, and the server could start using this
> new disk-backed Irmin backend.
>
> The key-value API will include details about handling disk barriers,
> garbage collection, possibly other things that are not relevant to the
> browser.  That API won't aim to be easily reimplemented in a browser.
> But Irmin can be, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I believe that Thomas Gazagnaire has been working on a revision of
the Irmin API that distills down the interface to a simpler version for
the common path.  We've been using Irmin pretty heavily in Docker for Mac,
so the lessons learnt from that use should hopefully translate into a more
lightweight developer experience for the Irmin v2 API.

regards,
Anil