Re: [MirageOS-devel] result-y errors and MirageOS 3

>>> A few weeks ago, I merged https://github.com/mirage/mirage/pull/690 and its
>>> companion PRs. The changeset continues work done by Hannes Mehnert to
>>> convert the NETWORK module type to using result types for writes upward
>>> through ETHERNET, IP, UDP, TCP, and ICMP, and rewrites FLOW to use result
>>> types for both `read` and `write`.  Anil has made a nice patch (now merged)
>>> to `channel` using this API which you can see at
>>> https://github.com/mirage/mirage-channel/pull/14 .
>>>
>>> There's a similar PR, not yet merged, which adds error types for KV_RO,
>>> BLOCK, and FS which you can see at
>>> https://github.com/mirage/mirage/pull/705 .  I'd appreciate more comments
>>> on this PR.  I'll admit that I'd especially appreciate comments to the
>>> effect of "this is better than what we had so please merge it".
>>
>> This has just been merged largely as written.  Thanks to folks who
>> commented, particularly talex5, hannesm, and lpw25.  Ongoing thanks to
>> samoht, talex5, and hannesm for their previous work in this space.  Further
>> improvements are always possible ;)
>
> I'm taking what I hope will be the last pass at incorporating changes to the
> errors interface at https://github.com/mirage/mirage/pull/729 .  As a
> satisfactory interface here is the last blocker to an API that looks
> substantially like what we'll use in MirageOS 3, I would very much appreciate
> your comments or PRs as soon as you can get them in, and certainly by (or
> during) the MirageOS call on Wednesday which I'll shortly be sending the
> reminder for.

I have been working on that issue in the past few days, the result is there:

https://github.com/mirage/mirage/pull/743

I've also made mirage-skeleton compiles on unix, xen and solo5 with these
changes. All the individual PR are also mostly green (with a few exceptions
that I am still tracking down, but nothing major). Also Mindy already put that
changeset live[1] so I guess it's good enough :p

I will start merging all of this pretty soon, so expect some breakage if you
use the dev version of mirage.

Best,
Thomas

[1]: https://twitter.com/mindypreston/status/812137556603269121