Re: [MirageOS-devel] result-y errors and MirageOS 3

On 12/09/2016 08:41 AM, Mindy wrote:

On 12/06/2016 03:08 PM, Mindy wrote:

A few weeks ago, I merged https://github.com/mirage/mirage/pull/690 and its companion PRs. The changeset continues work done by Hannes Mehnert to convert the NETWORK module type to using result types for writes upward through ETHERNET, IP, UDP, TCP, and ICMP, and rewrites FLOW to use result types for both `read` and `write`. Anil has made a nice patch (now merged) to `channel` using this API which you can see at https://github.com/mirage/mirage-channel/pull/14 .

There's a similar PR, not yet merged, which adds error types for KV_RO, BLOCK, and FS which you can see at https://github.com/mirage/mirage/pull/705 . I'd appreciate more comments on this PR. I'll admit that I'd especially appreciate comments to the effect of "this is better than what we had so please merge it".

This has just been merged largely as written. Thanks to folks who commented, particularly talex5, hannesm, and lpw25. Ongoing thanks to samoht, talex5, and hannesm for their previous work in this space. Further improvements are always possible ;)

I'm taking what I hope will be the last pass at incorporating changes to the errors interface at https://github.com/mirage/mirage/pull/729 . As a satisfactory interface here is the last blocker to an API that looks substantially like what we'll use in MirageOS 3, I would very much appreciate your comments or PRs as soon as you can get them in, and certainly by (or during) the MirageOS call on Wednesday which I'll shortly be sending the reminder for.

Thanks,
Mindy