Re: [MirageOS-devel] Many-core ARMv8, Mirage & Networking

Hi Chris,

I was back to normal on this Monday, because of a seldom snow I had
extended my vacations :)

It seems you are using the docker to set up the development environment.
We are using a script to set up the development environment on physical
ARM64 server (ubuntu 16.04 tested only).
https://github.com/Weichen81/ukvm-solo5-arm64

For building, I think the physical server and docker are the same. So
you can use this script to set up a development environment in your
docker instance.

For running, of course not. Above script include some temporary patches
to make compilers happy, they are not real patches. But we are composing
the real patches for ARM64 dependent code. Our first goal is running the
test_hello application on a physical ARM64 server.

I hope above information is useful for you.

Regards,
Wei Chen

On 2017/2/13 18:19, Chris Fegan wrote:
> Hi Anil & Dan,
> I did some experimentation with the Packet.net <http://packet.net> over
> the weekend to try and get myself a repeatable/shareable development
> environment for solo5. This environment is on the smallest instance type
> they have (Intel - baremetal_0), but the same structure should be
> re-usable for the 96 core ARMv8.
>
> https://github.com/ComposMin/terraform-solo5-dev
>
> I can compile and run kvm+solo5 unikernels using this setup and also
> make small changes to target the 96 core ARM monster. This avoids the
> pain of cross-compilation toolchains. Of course the ARM build fails
> early in the compilation, but that in itself was instructive.
>
> Let me know if this is a mis-directed Yak-shave or could possibly be
> useful. I’ve only seen Dan’s development, would be interesting to see
> what Mato & WeiChen use.
>
> I’m assuming that Wei Chen was busy over Chinese New Year - any recent news?
>
> Thanks,
> Chris
>

>> On 7 Feb 2017, at 12:11 AM, Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@xxxxxxxxxx
>> <mailto:anil@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>>
>> Dear Chris,
>>
>> In addition to Nik's very useful reply, you may also be interested in
>> some UKVM work that will finally connect the dots and provide an
>> end-to-end ARM64 unikernel based on Solo5:
>>
>> https://github.com/Solo5/solo5/issues/151
>>
>> Any contributions there would be most welcome, as once that exists,
>> several of the older projects such as Jitsu, and newer projects such
>> as FLICK, could be brought up to speed with the Mirage 3 module types
>> and APIs.  I recommend the ODroid C2 as a pretty portable ARM64 box to
>> take to the hackathon :)
>>
>> regards
>> Anil
>>
>>> On 3 Feb 2017, at 03:02, Chris Fegan <cfegan@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Folks,
>>> I've been reading a lot of this group's research papers in
>>> preparation for Marrakech. I think
>>> I'm getting a sense for how the various pieces fit together.
>>>
>>> The reading has lead me to wonder if there is a "master plan" for
>>> linking MirageOS, FLICK, many-core ARMv8 &
>>> SR-IOV. It seems as though a stack something like the below would be
>>> a great substrate for building high performance and flexible network
>>> applications (that look at the packet payloads, not just headers).
>>>
>>> Jitsu
>>> FLICK
>>> Mirage
>>> Solo5
>>> Microkernel | Hypervisor [seL4]|[KVM]
>>> Cavium many-core ARMv8 SoC with Ethernet fabric
>>>
>>> Besides the question about the existence of a master plan.
>>> * Are the Flick tools available in source code to study?
>>> * Do you think that Flick will need to remain outside of the Mirage &
>>> OCaml ecosystem to make use
>>> of multicore & DPDK or can you see a path bring it "into the fold"?
>>>
>>> [Flick]
>>> https://www.usenix.org/system/files/conference/atc16/atc16_paper_alim.pdf
>>> [seL4] https://ts.data61.csiro.au/projects/TS/realtime.pml
>>> [KVM] http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Main_Page