Re: [MirageOS-devel] Irmin 1.0

Hi,

> Congrats for the release and the efforts!

Thanks!

> Would it make sense to implement event sourcing
> (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn589792.aspx) on top of irmin? I
> have an application which is based on this principle and I am looking for a
> robust storage solution.

Yes you can store an event stream in Irmin. The hard part is to design which
operations you want to perform on this stream and to optimise the
data-structure used to store the events so that these operations are fast. For
instance, you can have a single key in your store and commit a new value for
every new event: but then you will have to re-scan the whole history to rebuild
your values. Or you can have multiple keys, or build an index of events, etc.
It all depend on the use-case but Irmin should be flexible enough to pick the
right structure.

I don't really know the design space of event sourcing, so I would be
interested/curious how I can improve Irmin (if needed) to fit your use-cases.

Best,
Thomas