Re: [MirageOS-devel] [GSoC '17] Community Bonding and Next Steps

On 05/05/2017 12:37 AM, David Udelson wrote:
Hi,
I recently received a notification from Google that my proposal for GSoC
'17 was accepted! I would like to thank the Mirage OS community, and
specifically my mentor, Thomas, for all the collaboration and review
that allowed me to write an accepted proposal.

Congratulations!! :)  We're excited to have you with us.

I'm eager to begin work
on Irmin. First, however, I was wondering how GSoC students and their
mentors typically communicate within the Xen project. There are a lot of
logistics to flesh out, but it seems like those would clutter the
mailing list. What have student-mentor pairs done in the past?

I did an Outreachy internship with Mirage in 2014; part of that program's requirements is a weekly blog post on what you're doing. It can be at any level of detail, and any level of relatedness to the actual work you're engaged in.

I found writing and publishing blog posts at a regular and fairly high cadence to be extremely useful for surfacing my work (and incidentally, promoting the project). I also really liked that it was opt-in -- nobody was getting updates on what I was doing who didn't want them. It's not obligatory for GSoC folks like it is for Outreachy, but if you're interested in writing about your work I'd encourage you to consider it!

-Mindy