Re: [MirageOS-devel] Irmin, IMAP, MirageOS

Hi Andre,

(adding the mirage list in /cc as I know that topic would interest other people
there)

>> There are various IMAP implementation working
>> with MirageOS, maybe that would also help. Please let me know how this
>> goes, I would be happy to help if needed.
>
> I did not found something like that. Please let me know, where they are
> available.
>
> I found several email-related implementations. Here are my favorites:
>
> * https://github.com/gregtatcam/imaplet-lwt
>
> an IMAP-Server which uses irmin as backend, but it seems not ready to use
> with MirageOS.
>

> * https://github.com/janestreet/email_message
> * https://github.com/janestreet/async_smtp
>
> The janestreet implementations depend on core and async, so they can't be
> easily ported to MirageOS, because core (and core_kernel too) can't be linked
> with the ukvm target.

I was thinking of https://github.com/nojb/ocaml-imap but it seems it's a client
only (unfortunately). I know that imaplet-lwt was supposed to work with
MirageOS at one point, but maybe that work have not been completed yet. Would
be definitely useful to have an MirageOS compatible IMAP server.

> I have another question related to irmin:
>
> To use irmin as an backend for an email server the RW interface would be
> appropriate. Irmin_mirage does not expose RW.
> Is it possible to use irmin on top of Mirage_fs_lwt.S or Mirage_block_lwt.S
> (and than expose RW)?
>
> Or is something like that still WIP? Anil posted on the mirageos-devel
> something about Gabriel's filesystem:
> https://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/mirageos-devel/2017-05/msg00021.html

This is indeed currently not possible but one of the end goal of Gabriel's work
is to have an Irmin backend on top of Mirage_block_lwt.S. It should be
available in a few weeks. I think it should be easy to have an Irmin backend on
top of Mirage_fs_lwt.S, but not very efficient (and the current implementation
available for Mirage_fs_lwt.S is FAT, which is not a great FS in general -- so
this would only be temporary until Gabriel's work land).

Best,
Thomas