Re: [MirageOS-devel] some maintenance on the mirage front-end tool is needed

On 1 Aug 2017, at 10:55, Hannes Mehnert <hannes@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Anil,
>
> On 27/07/2017 11:25, Anil Madhavapeddy wrote:
>> On 26 Jul 2017, at 18:56, Mindy <mindy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Recently there have been many packages released which replace depopts and
>>> sublibraries with packages, rename packages to fit more clearly into an
>>> established naming scheme, or consolidate packages into other places.  In
>>> many cases corresponding changes haven't landed in the `mirage` front-end
>>> tool, resulting in breakage when users try `make depend`.  One can see the
>>> results in a recent test run (
>>> https://travis-ci.org/mirage/mirage/jobs/257345457 ), or when trying to
>>> build dependencies for a unikernel configured with `--dhcp true`; there are
>>> likely other related problems.
>>>
>>> Most of these changes are related to packages recently ported to jbuilder.
>>> If you recently jbuildered something that `mirage` knows about* or you have
>>> discovered a build problem with mirage's `make depend`, I would appreciate
>>> your time and attention on this issue.  Both pull requests and issues are
>>> welcome at https://github.com/mirage/mirage .
>>
>> Woops, I tried to maintain compatibility in the package names so that there
>> should have been no impact on the frontend tool, but clearly didn't entirely
>> succeed :-) Will take a look...
>
> it would be great if you could unbreak this fallout... see
> https://github.com/mirage/mirage-skeleton/issues/232 for another bug report.

I'm back and generating a release of the frontend tool now.  I have run into a
number of ancillary changes, particularly unreleased changes in functoria as
well, so it'll take a few hours...

Thomas(G): are you ok with the current master branch of functoria being
released? It mostly appears to be new interfaces and end-to-end tests, so I'm
going to go ahead with it after some testing.

Also: I've activated Travis cron builds of mirage-skeleton, so that we can spot
breakage in the opam repo more easily.

And finally, we have a general architectural problem with the mirage frontend
tool that I'm not sure how to solve just yet.  As the opam repository evolves,
older versions of the tool that generate `opam` files will no longer work,
since upper bounds are not generated on packages.  The only way around this is
by generating much more specific `opam` files from `mirage configure`, which
include an upper bound on their relevant packages.  I think we'll have to deal
with that another day, but ideas welcome on solutions here...

Anil