Re: [MirageOS-devel] some maintenance on the mirage front-end tool is needed

On 01/08/2017 11:14, Anil Madhavapeddy wrote:
> I'm back and generating a release of the frontend tool now.  I have run into
> a number of ancillary changes, particularly unreleased changes in functoria
> as well, so it'll take a few hours...

thanks!  please include (after review, it works fine for me) the first
two commits of https://github.com/mirage/mirage/pull/853 in that mirage
release as well.

> Thomas(G): are you ok with the current master branch of functoria being
> released? It mostly appears to be new interfaces and end-to-end tests, so I'm
> going to go ahead with it after some testing.
>
> Also: I've activated Travis cron builds of mirage-skeleton, so that we can
> spot breakage in the opam repo more easily.

sounds good!

> And finally, we have a general architectural problem with the mirage frontend
> tool that I'm not sure how to solve just yet.  As the opam repository
> evolves, older versions of the tool that generate `opam` files will no longer
> work, since upper bounds are not generated on packages.  The only way around
> this is by generating much more specific `opam` files from `mirage
> configure`, which include an upper bound on their relevant packages.  I think
> we'll have to deal with that another day, but ideas welcome on solutions
> here...

there is an easy solution: let's stick to semantic versioning in the
mirage ecosystem and include upper bounds, e.g. 'package
"mirage-conduit" min:"3.0.1" max:"4.0.0"'.

hannes