Re: [Wg-test-framework] Project Update part 2 part 1 was submitted over the holidays.

Don Koch writes ("Re: [Wg-test-framework] Project Update part 2 part 1 was
submitted over the holidays."):
> On Fri, 9 Jan 2015 00:01:35 -0500
> "Paul L. George" <pgeorge@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > We are getting to the point where we are going to be done with the hardware
> > setup.  Chris has configured the switches and the PDU's.  We cannot get the
> > VLANS to talk to each other the way Ian wants without some routing on the
> > main servers.
>
> Which is my understanding. See below.

Yes, I'm expecting the main servers to do routing.

> > Newcastle's Internal LAN  is plugged in to the test portion VLAN along with
> > all the test servers we have installed so far.
> >
> > Gateshead's internal LAN is plugged into the infrastructure VLAN, Chris did
> > this so we can see the PDU's it is temporary until we figure out the
> > interVLAN communications.
>
> Maybe I'm confused, but I thought both were to be connected to the test
> VLAN. The infrastructure machines are VMs running on the main servers.

Both servers' internal ethernet ports should be on all three vlans;
the switch should be configured to provide tagged packets for those
ports.

> >  Chris configured the PDU's and the switches according to Ian's plumbing
> > diagram.  With a level 2 switch you cannot do inter LAN routing.  On the HP
> > switch TAGGED PORTS are not visible from both VLANS. This is the way IAN
> > envisioned them working.  I can get a different switch but I would need to
> > know exactly what switch he wanted that had the correct capabilities

I don't know what you mean by "TAGGED PORTS are not visible from both
VLANS".  I would expect a tagged port to trunk all the vlans.

The servers' internal ports need to be configured so that the
appropriate vlan is enslaved onto each relevant bridge.

> > Don, did you figure out what we had to do with software to fix the
> > Comtrol issues.  I did not swap the cables because I did not want
> > to take the chance to screwing up the only Comtrol components that
> > were working.
>
> I sent you a reply earlier on this. Last I looked, neither console was
> available from the other machine. I don't know if this is a Comtrol
> issue, a wiring issue or something else. Nothing seems to have changed
> as far as the configuration is concerned. I note that both machines
> claimed to have found their respective port sets.
>
> Sounds like I'm going to need to get access to the colo.

Oh dear, it sounds like we are going backwards.

> >  The DHCP LAN on the TEST VLAN has to be setup.

That will have to be done after the switch and host config is working,
I think.

> I still need to allocate the disks and create said VMs. I was waiting
> for Ian to confirm/update the disk/memory/CPU sizes/counts for each of
> these. (If he did, I missed the mail. I recall seeing notes about a couple
> of them.)

I'll do this.  Which of the various files in the git repo should I be
looking at ?

How are the PDUs ?  Are they set up ?  I was expecting to set them up
via their serial interface but if the serial cards aren't working then
we're blocked.

Thanks,