Re: [Wg-test-framework] Project Update part 2 part 1 was submitted over the holidays.

On Fri, 9 Jan 2015 00:01:35 -0500
"Paul L. George" <pgeorge@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Guys,
>
> We are getting to the point where we are going to be done with the hardware
> setup.  Chris has configured the switches and the PDU's.  We cannot get the
> VLANS to talk to each other the way Ian wants without some routing on the
> main servers.

Which is my understanding. See below.

> My questions to both MSI and Comtrol have gone unanswered, I suspect they
> are trying to catch up on the holiday issues.  I will check back in with
> them next week.

*sigh*

> Newcastle's Internal LAN  is plugged in to the test portion VLAN along with
> all the test servers we have installed so far.
>
> Gateshead's internal LAN is plugged into the infrastructure VLAN, Chris did
> this so we can see the PDU's it is temporary until we figure out the
> interVLAN communications.

Maybe I'm confused, but I thought both were to be connected to the test
VLAN. The infrastructure machines are VMs running on the main servers.

I still need to allocate the disks and create said VMs. I was waiting
for Ian to confirm/update the disk/memory/CPU sizes/counts for each of
these. (If he did, I missed the mail. I recall seeing notes about a couple
of them.)

>  Chris configured the PDU's and the switches according to Ian's plumbing
> diagram.  With a level 2 switch you cannot do inter LAN routing.  On the HP
> switch TAGGED PORTS are not visible from both VLANS. This is the way IAN
> envisioned them working.  I can get a different switch but I would need to
> know exactly what switch he wanted that had the correct capabilities
>
>  We should have 22 servers connected to the LAN connections and the serial
> connections by the beginning of next week.  We have 18 connected currently.
>
>  I expect the most missing servers to be here next week, at that point we
> will be done except for the ARM Crate that Ian has to ship to us..
>
>  We received 4 more servers today, item 7 [elbling 0 ,1] and item 9 [pinot
> 0, 1]
>
> Don, did you figure out what we had to do with software to fix the Comtrol
> issues.  I did not swap the cables because I did not want to take the chance
> to screwing up the only Comtrol components that were working.

I sent you a reply earlier on this. Last I looked, neither console was
available from the other machine. I don't know if this is a Comtrol
issue, a wiring issue or something else. Nothing seems to have changed
as far as the configuration is concerned. I note that both machines
claimed to have found their respective port sets.

Sounds like I'm going to need to get access to the colo.

>  The DHCP LAN on the TEST VLAN has to be setup.
>
> We will be installing the 4 new servers next week after they have been
> tested and the bios configured.  We will start bench testing them Friday
> 1/9/15 we should be done by Monday 1/12/15.
>
> Neither Chris nor I will not be available from 1/9 - 1/11.  George is doing
> the new server bench testing this weekend.

I hope you left George my number, just in case.

> Paul

-d