[Wg-test-framework] Status Report 2-24-15

Ian,

Status report 2/24/15

I received the Arm Crate and set it up on my test bench.

I letup a Debian Laptop to bench test  the ARM crate.

I checked it out mechanically and it seems to have come thought in perfect shape.

I put the testing off until later in the week because it seemed that Both Don and Ian were having problems connecting to the servers at the COLO.

I went to the COLO and did an end to end test loop back on all the serial cables using the COMTROL  diagnostic utility.  I did it cable by cable so we know the cables and the adaptors are good.

I then went to every server and used the network tools utility to get the IP and the MAC address of every Ethernet connection.  We found a couple of strange occurrences that might explain some of your difficulties.  The silk screened labels did not match the Debian mapping of eth0, and eth1.  In some cases there were 3 and 4 Ethernet connections and the mapping was not always what was labeled.

We did the same for all 11 sets we could get to, the attached chart may help get everything working.

I also checked all the BIOS settings and found them to be correct.

The process below is basically what we did for every server set.

I tested both serial cables on Merlot 0 & 1 they passed an end to end loop back test.

I logged into Merlot 0 and 1 with the root password “a”

I did an ifconfig on both systems and found the IP’s listed and the MAC address listed on the chart.

I rebooted both systems and got into the BIOS.

They were both setup correctly:

SERIAL 1 is configured for console redirection  115200 BAUD

Virtualization is enabled

Power Up –automatically

Nocera 0 & 1 were powered down.  I turned them on, they have an OS but I could not login as root.  None of our root passwords worked.  We logged in as a user and ran the Admin Network Tools to get the network information.

Chardonnay 0 & 1 are up and have an OS but I could not login to root for the same reason as above.

We logged in as a user and ran the Admin Network Tools to get the network information.

The chart will be eye opening.  I don’t know why Debian’s eth0…ehtx does not match the silk screened labels on the server chassis.

We moved all the Ethernet cables to what was apparently Eth0 see the chart for the MAC addresses.

Paul L. George

President

hatecompPLG Enterprises, Inc.

All-Net Computer Solutions