[Wg-test-framework] Notes from Xen Project/AllNet call Feb 25th

= Attendees =

Ian Jackson

Lars Kurth

Don Koch

Paul George

== Status Update ==

Ian: is unclear as to what is happening.  Has tested some machines
that Don K said were all wired and working correctly, but limited
success.

Ian: yesterday spoke to Don; could not get baroque0 via serial.  Could
see italia0 via serial.  Ask to power cycle italia0 and then now it is
silent.  Suspect that machine is not configured to power cycle
correctly?

Ian: in the BIOS there are 3 options : off/on/last state the latter is
unreliable and confusing. If the BIOS is set to last state instead of on,
sometimes the machines come up, sometimes not.

Paul: Some Ethernet cables moved due to confusion about s/w vs h/w
numbering.

Don: Ethernet cables should be plugged into physical eth0.  Software
numbering is a lie.

Ian: What I would like to be able to do, is connect via serial, power
cycle via PDU and check whether files and MAC addresses are correct

Paul: can you try Merlot?
Ian: trying now
Don: can ssh into Merlot but doesn t see anything on the serial connection

Ian: At the moment, we believe that everything is in the rack and
issues we are seeing are connection/configuration.  There are no
machines in the system we can connect via serial and PDU correctly
right now

Don: Agrees

Ian: can you get me a pair of machines this week for testing?

Don: believes he can do this by today

Paul: Which machine can you not power cycle?

Ian: Italia0

Ian: A note on serial numbering, as I understand it the numbers on the
spreadhseet are numbered from 1, but starting ttyRP0 in software on
serial0.

Paul: will verify the settings and ensure they are set to on

Ian: to summarize there are still connectivity and plumbing problems that we
don t understand. Don will ensure that two machines are working by today

Ian: top priority to is to ensure that he can start the SW configuration as
fast as possible

Ian: is concerned that the ARM crate is not going to work till April based on
past track record.

Paul: is trying to get the ARM crate in by the end of the week

Ian: ARM crate is second priority

Ian: is concerned that things are not done right the first time round
and a lot of time is wasted

== Loose Ends ==

Ian: has not received photos of rack and cabling that Paul has sent please
re-send

Paul: there is an e-mail issue as well eu.citrix.com was bounced, mails to
citrix.com get through

Ian: to send e-mail rejection massage to Don such that it can be resolved
(done). This will be handled off-line

ACTION (Ian): chase up on email iussues to see whether this is on the Citrix
site

Ian: we have had no response from AMD yet? (Re motherboard without
serial BIOS)

Paul: Do you think you AMD can recommend a replacement mother board

Ian: AMD does not appear to be responsive, so we should assume that they wont
reply

ACTION (Paul): investigate new motherboard for the chips we have and double
check with Ian

Ian: key thing is that the motherboard supports power reset and virtualization.
This is not as urgent, as it is only 2 machines out of 24

== Prognosis ==

Lars: is concerned about ongoing delays. Originally the ETA for the project was
going to be end of Dec, beginning of Jan. It is now end of Feb and I am getting
concerned that we are not up and running by the end of March.

Paul: believes we are very close, but cannot provide an ETA

Ian: do you believe you can promise that 50% of the machines (say 10)
are working as outlined in specs by the end of next week?

Paul: Every single machine with the exception of 2, are all booting, running
and connected to the PDU. Claims that from a physical perspective they are all
functioning.

Ian: wants to know whether the BIOS is accessible by serial? Remotely we cannot
find out what is going on. Ian re-iterates that the set-up such that we can do
further configuration and hardware set-up remotely

Paul: I can only do my best

Don: believes that 4 pairs of machines (ie 8) should be correctly
configured by the end of this week. Can do some sanity checking for
those machines.

Ian: is also concerned about the progress of the project

Ian: expects that 12 machines are properly working as laid out in specs and
previous emails by the end of next week.

== Other Items ==

Access control for Lars

ACTION: Lars to send letterhead with request to be made master need positive ID
(e.g. passport number, country and a password). Can try and address to sales contact at earthlink