Re: [Wg-test-framework] More machines available

On Tue, 3 Mar 2015 19:45:10 +0000
Ian Jackson <Ian.Jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Don Koch writes ("More machines available"):
> > Four more machines are now ready for use:
> >
> > merlot1
> > nocera1
> > godello0
> > godello1
>
> Thanks.
>
> > Note: godello* can't boot 32-bit systems. I installed a 64-bit fedora
> > for testing.
>
> Right.
>
> I will make a note of that.
>

> I have set up ansible and am using it for various things; you can find
> it /root/playbook on newcastle.  The rune to deploy is, as root,
>   ansible-playbook site.yml

Sounds like another toy I'll have to play with (at home).

> I have been messing about with serial stuff which seems to be going
> well.
>
> I did find that the serial1 vm is not able to talk to the Debian
> archive servers.  I think there may be a firewall problem somewhere.

Fixed. (Missing rule in network interfaces.)

> > Of the remaining machines, I've diagnosed 4 with bad serial
> > cables/adapters (having Chris look at those),
>
> Right.
>
> > two have BIOSes that don't seem to support serial lines (huxelrebe*)
> > and the pair with the AMD chipset issue (rimava*).
>
> Wait, I thought we had huxelrebe (line item #11 from the original
> quotation) serial BIOS access bench-tested ?

I just checked it out (reboot, see nothing until login prompt). Don't
know what the issue is. Will dig further.

> AIUI the "AMD chipset issue" you refer to is that rimava*'s BIOS won't
> do serial access.

I believe that is the issue, yes.

> > And, there's the ARM chassis, which Paul is working on and I haven't
> > looked at.
>
> Do you know how this is going on ?  It's all gone quiet since we
> confirmed end of last week that it had passed the bench tests.
>
> > This should now give us 16 x86 machines out of 24. I believe we will
> > have the four with serial issues by the end of the week. (Paul is out
> > for a medical procedure, Tuesday.)
>
> Thanks.
>
> > I don't remember if we've addressed the BIOS issue on the IBM
> > (huxelrebe) servers and, if so, what the resolution was.
>
> I wasn't aware that there was a problem with those.

That's me confusing the hux set with rimava.

-d