Re: [Wg-test-framework] Minutes from today's Xen Project - Allnet call (Feb 18 2015)

On 2/18/2015 10:40 AM, Ian Jackson wrote:
Ian Jackson writes ("Minutes from today's Xen Project - Allnet call (Feb 18
2015)"):
* Motherboard with MSI BIOS without serial access

   Paul reports that we have had no progress from MSI.  We agreed that
   it would be wise to start investigating the plan (b).  Accordingly

   ACTION: Ian to ask AMD to recommend an alternative motherboard
Sherry, Aravid, can you help ?  What information would you need to
make a recommendation ?

Ian, Apologies about the tardy response as we were distracted with other issues that came up.

We did go over some replacement workstation motherboards that would be able to accommodate the Fx6300 processor that is currently in 'rimava'. But, from asking around internally, it seems our chances of finding a workstation motherboard which can do serial BIOS is slim.

We have looked at some server motherboards now and found this one which seems to be a good candidate for replacement:
Motherboard: Supermicro H8SCM-F
(http://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/motherboard/Opteron4100/SR56x0/H8SCM-F.cfm)
Brief overview:
  - does not accommodate current Fx6300 processor
- accommodates Opteron4334 processor (http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldozer/AMD-Opteron%204334%20-%20OS4334WLU6KHK.html) - Sherry and I can help procure this if we end up purchasing this motherboard.
  - single socket.
- DIMMS: looks like it supports 1600MHz Unbuffered non ECC DIMMMs (from above supermicro webpage) and that's the one we have. So, we'd not have to procure any new DIMMs. - I am not sure about the chassis. The form factor for this motherboard is microATX, dimensions: 9.6" x 8.6" (24.4cm x 21.8cm). The current MSI motherboard dimensions are 12" x 8..86". So, need to check if the chassis can hold the motherboard.
  - cost: $239.99 (http://www.directron.com/mbdm8scmf.html)

Thoughts?

Thanks,
-Aravind.