Re: [Wg-test-framework] Lenovo issue - Status update.

Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk writes ("Re: [Wg-test-framework] Lenovo issue - Status
update."):
> On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 11:25:57PM -0400, Paul L. George wrote:
> > I trust that when I provision the AMT interfaces in the DNS and DHCP server
> > (changing the IP address offered by DHCP) AMT will pick up the new address ?
>
> man amt-howto mentions:
>
>   Fun with Xen and AMT
>        The  AMT  network stack seems to become slightly confused when running
> on a Xen host in DHCP mode.  Everything works fine
>        as long as only Dom0 runs.  But if one starts a guest OS (with bridged
> networking) AMT suddenly changes the IP address to
>        the one the guest aquired via DHCP.

That sounds like exactly the kind of breakage I would expect with NIC
sharing.  The right answer is surely not to attempt to share the NIC
between AMT and the OS.

Don and/or Paul reported that the machine has three NIC ports, one for
the LOM, so we can just plug the LOM port into the switch.  AIUI that
is what Paul or Don have done.

> In my lab I had it static but I concur that having DHCP is an better
> idea. The problem (on my Intel DQ67SW desktop board) was that the MAC address
> of the AMT was the same as the NIC (eth0) which was mighty confusing.

I think that's probably a consequence of NIC sharing.

> > Maybe I have misunderstood.  I don't know why AMT's idea of its
> > own hostname is relevant.
>
> >From my experience, the 'amttool' and 'amtterm' do not like it when they
> cannot resolve the name from the IP (or vice-versa).

How annoying.

In that case I think the best place to bodge it is probably
/etc/bind/db.test-lab on the infra VM.

If necessary, adding statically-assigned entries to the dhcp server is
also OK although I would like to be asked.  If the dhcp domain-name
option needs to be changed for these hosts (although I don't see why
it would), that can be done in host-specific stanzas in the
dhcpd.conf.

> > Perhaps we should chat on IRC because it seems evident that I don't
> > understand what's going on with AMT.

I still think this would be a good idea.  Don, are you around ?