Re: [Xen-API] Kronos: bonded interfaces

On 20 Dec 2011, at 22:38, Dave Whitla wrote:

> Thanks Jon.
>
> I was thinking about doing it myself. I'll take a look at what Rob has done
> so far.
> My only concern is that it will likely make assumptions about SYSV init being
> the principal run control system and that it's OK to take interfaces down.

If you enable the daemon as it's currently being written, it will own the
configuration of networking on the box, and will indeed not play nicely with
other things. The primary motivation for this is to make things work for XCP
the distro - the embedded platform. It coincidentally will fix the problem that
none of the current networking scripts will work with debian, but it will still
be of the mindset that it is the sole thing that fiddles with networks on the
system. The concession for other use cases is currently the ability to turn it
off :-)

> I prefer my Pacemaker cluster solution (which I have invested a lot of time
> in) to XCP's reinvention of all the wheels. In this scenario Pacemaker will
> detect networks going down as a system failure and will fence the host unless
> I'm provided a way to integrate the two.

The daemon is using json rpc to talk to xapi. It shouldn't be too hard to write
a different one, though the obvious problem there is lack of documentation. I
recommend talking to Rob about it for now, or asking on the IRC channel. We've
got a nice IDL defining these interfaces (nice if you like ocaml, that is), but
producing documentation from it isn't yet sorted. It's on the to-do list.

> So a robust solution really needs to be modular and pluggable if you want to
> support simply adding xapi to existing platforms.

Yes.

> Incidentally I've noticed that when the service names were changed to be
> prefixed with xcp- none of the supporting libraries of scripts were updated.
> Is there some way we can get this stuff out in he open where I can check out
> and iteratively fix-build-deploy-test.

As I said before, xapi-autobuilder is how we're building this stuff, but it's
all normal debian packages. apt-get source xcp-xapi, and fire off the patches
:-)