Re: [Xen-API] [Xen-users] Xen or XCP

  • To: xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: George Shuklin <george.shuklin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 23:47:47 +0400
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 19:47:50 +0000

On 13.06.2012 23:35, Jonathan Chan wrote:
> For instance, from what I understand from what I have read, XCP allows
> you to create resource pools. ÂThe part of this I don't understand is
> if one VM can spread across the entire pool or if it will still be
> tied to one piece of hardware in the pool (CPU and Memory as storage
> will be on a NAS / SAN anyways)?

If your storage is on NAS/SAN then yes, you can migrate virtual machines
between homogeneous hosts in the pool, or even heterogeneous hosts (from
the same vendor) if you configure "CPU levelling" appropriately.

<Noobie question> And if I'm not using a nas/san is there a benefit to creating and using a resource pool betweenÂhomogeneous servers?

If you using local SR on each host, I think the single possible benefit of 'pooling' is the single management point. If you don't mind to connect to different masters to perform operations, It's better to use 'standalone' installation. If something strange happens to master on one host, others will continue to operates normally.