Re: [Xen-API] [Xen-users] Xen or XCP

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 1:35 PM, Jonathan Chan
<iamjonathanchan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > For instance, from what I understand from what I have read, XCP allows
>> > you to create resource pools.  The part of this I don't understand is
>> > if one VM can spread across the entire pool or if it will still be
>> > tied to one piece of hardware in the pool (CPU and Memory as storage
>> > will be on a NAS / SAN anyways)?
>>
>> If your storage is on NAS/SAN then yes, you can migrate virtual machines
>> between homogeneous hosts in the pool, or even heterogeneous hosts (from
>> the same vendor) if you configure "CPU levelling" appropriately.
>

> <Noobie question> And if I'm not using a nas/san is there a benefit to
> creating and using a resource pool between homogeneous servers?

Jonathan,
If you look at the links that Ian sent me, the one for the tool stacks
(http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Choice_of_Toolstacks) will show you that
XAPI (The tool stack for XCP) has the most  features. It would depend
on if you need those features.

  My next question would be regarding future proofing.  I know that
with 4.2 the xl toolstack has backwards compatability to the xend, but
in the future, will all the tool stacks be consolidated or pruned down
to just one?