Re: [Xen-API] XCP 1.6 Beta: Storage XenMotion from command line

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 4:06 AM, Mike McClurg <mike.mcclurg@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 26/11/12 00:29, Black Bird wrote:
> I couldn't find the syntax you provided in the XS6.1 Admin Guide or the
> VM Users Guide so wouldn't have found found out without your help, so
> thanks.

You're welcome. The docs team have been told to focus on documenting the
GUI, and not the CLI. This isn't ideal for XCP users, I know.

> I tried the vdi-pool-migrate command which worked well with a VM running.
>
> I didn't try the new syntax for vm-migrate yet. ÂBeing able to move VMs
> live between pools (which would include single host pools), and to
> individual hosts within external pools, is a hugely useful capability
> for a number of reasons. ÂThe team which implemented this should be
> commended.

You're welcome ;) I'll pass on your thanks to the rest of the team.

Mike

> So thanks again for your help.
>

> On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 1:40 AM, Mike McClurg <mike.mcclurg@xxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:mike.mcclurg@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
> Â Â On 23/11/12 13:20, Black Bird wrote:
> Â Â > reading the description of Storage XenMotion in the Xenserver VM User
> Â Â > Guide, I get the impression that this function is only supported
> Â Â through
> Â Â > the use of XenCenter.
> Â Â >
> Â Â > Is there a way of achieving the same outcome using the command line?
> Â Â > ÂAnd should Storage XenMotion work on XCP or only on XenServer
> Â Â > Enterprise Edition?
>
> Â Â Storage XenMotion works on XCP, and can be executed from the command
> Â Â line or the XenAPI.
>
> Â Â The syntax for executing a storage motion from the command line is 'xe
> Â Â vm-migrate remote-master=<network address> remote-user=<root>
> Â Â uuid>:<remote sr uuid> [destination-sr-uuid=<remote sr uuid>]'. If you
> Â Â find that difficult to remember, try 'xe help vm-migrate'.
>
> Â Â It's also possible to move a VM's disks while the VM is running, using
> Â Â the new command 'xe vdi-pool-migrate'.
>
> Â Â Mike

There's a team (Xenapi Admin Docs) that's working on writing manpages for all of the commandlineÂutilities. The xe command has 361 subcommands and we're about 50 subcommands in currently. There's nothing public yet but we're working on it. Â

Grant McWilliams
http://grantmcwilliams.com/

Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use Windows."Â
Now they have two problems.