Re: [Xen-API] XCP 1.6 Storage XenMotion - need to delete temporary VDI files

  • To: xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Alexandre Kouznetsov <alk@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2013 16:37:19 -0600
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 03 Jan 2013 22:37:35 +0000

Hello.

You hijacked my thread!

El 03/01/13 12:10, admin@xxxxxxxxxxx escribió:
What is the right way to clean up those temp VDI?  Should I use
vdi-forget or vdi-destroy?
That depends of what you want, they behave differently.

vdi-forget leaves the storage (file or logical volume) in it's place, but removes all the reference to it in XCP cluster's database. It can be used back with a vdi-introduce.

vdi-destroy removes the references to the VDI and the actual storage volume.

Any temporal VDIs are supposed to be cleaned automatically, unless something went wrong with the migration process, which is probably your case. You may delete them using vdi-destroy (watch twice what you type before hit enter) or from XenCenter (it will tell which VDIs are not used by any VM, handful).

 How can I make sure the VM does not need the
temp VDI that are still assigned to it?
In case of a clean migration, it should not leave any temporal VDI behind. If the migration was not clean, it better leave VDIs in place, making sure you don't loose data.

In any case, a VDI can be detached from a VM by removing the corresponding VBD, which is the bond between the VM and the actual VDI. Store in a safe place the output of "xe vbd-param-list uuid=..." for reference, in case you need to attach the storage back to the VM.

I found the following text in the release notes for XCP 1.6 and XS 6.1:
When migrating VMs using Storage XenMotion, attempts to cancel the
operation may not delete the temporary virtual disks. [CA-87710] [CA-87689]
That's it.

I could not find the CA-87710 or CA-87689 documents.  If those docs have
the steps for manually cleaning up the temporary virtual disks, please
post the links to those documents.
Yes, that is mentioned in the XenServer 6.1.0 Release Notes:
http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX134582

The reference about the manual cleaning can be found in XenServer 6.1.0 Administrator's Guide:
http://docs.vmd.citrix.com/XenServer/6.1.0/1.0/en_gb/reference.html

Cheers.

--
Alexandre Kouznetsov