Re: [Xen-API] Proposal to change committers for the XAPI Project

On 15 May 2014 at 10:20 AM, Anil Madhavapeddy wrote:

> This isn't intended to affect the voting, but I would note that it's
> slightly odd for an open-source project to switch its committers in
> such a big sweep without at least some discussion about how this
> affects the overall project direction.

I don't think this change will affect the project direction.

Rather, it represents the XAPI project's nominal list of committers
being updated to reflect the practical state of affairs as they are
already: as Jon wrote in his proposal to change the set of committers,

>> As previously outlined on this list, the current set of committers
>> doesn't reflect reality. This proposal is to resync the list to one
>> based on the top committers to the repository over the last year or so.

The new set is very close to the pre-existing set of people with write-
access to the project's repositories on github.

> It would be really nice (from my perspective as an interested outsider) to
> see a short introduction e-mail from the new committers, and a brief outline
> of what they have worked in the past and the areas of Xapi that they plan to
> improve.

I joined Citrix in the autumn of 2010 to work on xapi and XenServer;
since then I have worked mostly in the xapi team but also spent time in
the performance team and the automated-testing team, which added up to a
bit more than a year away from xapi.

I've worked on various parts of xapi, but it's quite bitty and hard to
summarise.

Also, for the best part of a year I was spending part of my time as the
xapi team's "defect coordinator", keeping track of the internal and
external problem-tickets that reached Engineering.

I care about security. I was the tech lead for the work of getting a
slightly customised version of XenServer 6.0.2 through Common Criteria
certification. I'd love a chance to apply a capability-based[1] approach
where it makes sense. We could probably use OCaml's type system to get
more assurances of correctness than we do at present. I look forward to
dom0 services being split out into individual service VMs or stub-
domains.

Nothing solid enough to call a plan at present: it all depends on what
priorities come up.

Thomas

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capability-based_security